Friday, January 10, 2014

131003 Lost & Recovery

The purpose of the following story is to thank many people in a chain of events leading to a happy ending.

On Thursday 3rd October 2013, I transit through the Zurich International Airport. Due to the long layover, I pulled out my tablet for some reading and entertainment. As usual, I plugged my tablet into an outlet to recharge the battery for the long flight ahead.

When boarding time was announced, I pulled the plug, rolled up the cord and put them in my backpack. I proceeded to board the aircraft. Once the plane leveled out after take-off, I reached for my tablet. To my horror, I realized I left it back in Zurich.

I immediately notified the flight attendant. She offered to inform the captain at her earliest convenience, in hope he could contact the gate agents. Of course, she had to give priority to her duty servicing all the other passengers in her section. But all effort to contact the gate agents in Zurich was not successful. Upon landing in Washington D.C., the flight attendant gave me contact information of the lost-and-found office of United Airlines in hope the people there could be of help and wished me luck.

Once home, I called the main switch board of United Airlines and requested help. After a good search, the agent gave me contact information of the Swissport International at the Zurich International Airport. Not only did I call, I also send them a picture of photo used on my lock screen and a phrase inscribed by laser in the back of my tablet. The staff of Swissport International positively identified my tablet and offered to send it free of charge to the nearest airport served by Swiss Air.

After a few days, my tablet arrived at the Los Angeles International airport. The staff of Lufthansa (since Swiss Air is a subsidiary of Lufthansa) at LAX emailed me information on how to retrieve it. I was able to reclaim my tablet, intact and fully charged, from LAX a few days later. The people of Swissport International did a masterful job of packaging my tablet.


This happy conclusion could not be possible without the honesty of a stranger or strangers who happened to see my tablet near the gate of United Airlines at the Zurich International Airport. I sincerely Thank You and wish you Happiness and the Very Best Fortune in life.

To the staff of Swissport International at Zurich International Airport, I send my appreciation to all of you for handling and returning my tablet.

To the flight attendant and the captain of the United 937 of 3rd October 2013, Thank You for all your effort. You went above and beyond your duty to help. To the staff at main switchboard of United Airlines, Thank You for putting me in touch with the right people at Swissport International.

To the staff of Lufthansa at LAX, Thank You for your help and professionalism in making sure that I got my tablet back.

To our friends, TD & Kim Dang, Thank You for hosting us for a night in your beautiful home when we went to LAX & Southern California to pick up my tablet.

To anyone I overlook in this chain of events, please accept my apologies and sincere thanks.

And finally, to my spouse. Thank you for all your love, understanding and encouragement. Your positive attitude was a great help. I Love You.

No comments:

Post a Comment