Sunday, September 28, 2014

140608 Bratislava

In previous trip to Central Europe, I made brief stops in Bratislava.  My longest stay in the capital of Slovakia was in early December 2013.  The weather then was brutally cold.  I did not venture out much.  So it was with a renewed sense of excitement that I received another chance to return to Bratislava in a warmer season.  But this trip also meant having to say goodbye to dear friends prematurely.

Beautiful clear sky welcomed me to the capital of Austria.  A visit to downtown Vienna for lunch  and a self-guided walking tour afterward.  The weather was surprisingly hot; maybe too hot for this part of the world.

Johann Strauss, king of the waltz.

MuseumsQuartier in Vienna, Austria.

Bratislava greeted my arrival with a clear and pleasant evening.  Like in any large city in Europe, walking and taking public transportation were the best way to get around than driving a personal car.  Finding a parking spot would be difficult and, probably, expensive.  The streets of old downtown were for pedestrian only, making a promenade enjoyable. There were restaurants, shops and boutiques throughout.


Historic downtown of Bratislava, Slovakia.

Historic downtown of Bratislava, Slovakia.

While my days were taken up by work, my evenings were spent sampling many restaurants which advertised traditional Slovak cuisine.  A few restaurants have very nice live music entertainment.  One evening, there was a fashion in the middle of old town square, featuring a local designer.

Bryndzové Halušky is a national Slovak dish.


Fashion show in old town Bratislava, Slovakia.

Again the airline regulations require me to stay over a Saturday to qualify for a deep discount.  The first morning of the weekend was spent visiting the Hrad Devín, a fortress just West of Bratislava.  I was surprised by the large nearby sculpture depicting a prison breakout.  Its backside is filled with bullet holes and its metal bars are bent "outward.  This sculpture is a powerful and moving memorial to the people killed trying to break through the "Iron Curtain" in hope of reaching Western Europe.

Gate of Freedom Memorial in Devín, Slovakia.

Hrad Devín near Bratislava, Slovakia.

The rest of day was for more exploration of the Slovak capital on foot.  Its parks were full of people enjoying the beautiful summer weather.  I found the Blue, also known as St. Elizabeth, Church.  It is a small but charming church.  There was a beautiful wedding in progress when I was there.  So I could not photograph much.  I took the chance to go up the UFO restaurant at the top of the "New Bridge".  The view of Bratislava from that vintage point is indeed breathtaking.

Colorful furniture and stalls for children at a park in Bratislava, Slovakia.


Kostol svätej Alžbet, also know as St. Elizabeth Church.


Bratislava, Slovakia.

This trip to the charming capital of Slovakia could not be possible without the hard work of my colleagues to make it a reality.  A few more pictures are at https://picasaweb.google.com/108013863525571472697/140608WienBratislava#.  Also a collage of some of these pictures can be found at https://plus.google.com/u/0/108013863525571472697/stories/276a0d3a-7fb1-396b-9063-f74aefc43485147a12e6c9e.

As customary, your comments and critiques of my blog and pictures are solicited to help improve my skills.  And until next time, I bid you a great day and a safe travel.

Thank you & Enjoy,
Paul

1 comment: