Monday, March 4, 2013

130211 Austin

Twenty four hours after I landed in Phoenix from my travel to South-East Asia, I was on a plane to Austin, TX, for business.  This trip was a wonderful opportunity to see my brother and his family.  Again, most of my time was at work: arriving at the office fairly early in the morning, and leaving late.  The sun was just up when I was on my way to the office; and it was at the horizon when my workday ended.

On the last workday, I fought traffic to downtown Austin and took a few pictures of its skyline as the sun was setting fast.

Austin, TX.

"Owl" building in downtown Austin, TX.
My brother mentioned there would be a festival to welcome the Lunar New Year at the local "Chinatown" plaza the day I would depart Austin.  The festivity was a very pleasant surprise and a welcome distraction, even though it was about a week late. There were groups and teams performing beautiful traditional dances from Indonesia, Polynesia, India and China.  Most interesting were the lighting of two very long strings of firecrackers with several "lions" dancing along.  Very traditional.  Very fun.  Very enjoyable.

Polynesian dancer.
Dancers from India in colorful traditional dresses.
Young girls performing traditional lantern dance.
"Feeding" the New Year lion.
My time to go to the airport came as the festivity was beginning to wind down.  I would miss the last big dragon dance in front of the grocery store.

More pictures are at https://picasaweb.google.com/108013863525571472697/130211AUS.  As always, your comments and critiques are welcome.  And your visit is appreciated.

Thank you and Enjoy.
Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment